Not only did they get the number 1 and number 2 free agents in CC Sabathia and Mark Teixeira they also overpaid for a bumped out arm in AJ Burnett.
So what now? Well looks like the Yankees are going to pay even further into the luxury tax program. They also need to figure out what they are going to do with the plethora of players they now have sitting around.
Taking a serious look at their roster I see so clear answers and some others quite fague:
The obvious1B - Mark Teixeira
2B - Robinson Cano (rumoured a lot to be traded this offseason)
SS - Derek Jeter
3B - Alex Rodriguez
The not so obviousC - Jorge Posada - Bum arm may not enable him to return to the catching role. Then what? OF is crowded, DH is crowded, and 1B is full.
- Jose Molina - more than likely to take over the catching role or at least the majority of the games
OF - Johnny Damon - I suspect won't move but could see platoon role
- Xavier Nady - can't leave this bat out
- Nick Swisher - I smell platoon role or trade coming. You should probably try and trade him if you have him on your fantasy team before the other suckers realize what just happened.
- Melky Cabrera - Looks like Cabrera will have a lot of slivers on the bench or will need a trade
- Hideki Matsui - How quickly he has been fogotten with his injuries. Probably will be a platoon machine but then bench will and him will become very intimate.
It's one thing to sign a whole bunch of free agents and another thing to not actually need all of them... hopefully Cashman has some plans to get some value back for all these over the hill overpayed players who will find a lot of time on the bench.